This week, Jan 17 and 19th, we will focus on reviewing Newton's equations and introducing Matlab as a tool for solving problems in classical mechanics.
1) Read Chapter 1 in your Classical Mechanics text. Ideally in time for class on Wednesday but absolutely in time for class on Friday.
2) Install Matlab on your laptop and make sure it runs. You can obtain it at software.wfu.edu . If you have difficulty installing Matlab, go to the Bridge. Make sure you have an working copy by class on Friday.
3) Review material in the Mathematics Companion. In particular, we will use material from 1.1, 1.3, 1.4 this week, along with 2.1.1. However, next week, we will use material from 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.9, so I encourage you to review ahead.
4) Watch, and work along with in Matlab, our introductory video on Matlab before class on Friday.
5) Watch our video on Leapfrog integration. We might not get to until next week, and it might be a little challenging, but go ahead and watch it now first before class on Friday.
Our first homework will not be due until the 24th.