This week, Jan 22, 24 and 26th, we will focus on position and velocity-dependent forces and continue to introduce Matlab as a tool for solving problems in classical mechanics.
1) Read Chapter 2 in your Classical Mechanics text for class on Wednesday .
2) Review material in the Mathematics Companion. In particular, we will use material from 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.9.
3) Watch our video on Leapfrog integration.
4) Homework #2 1.8, 1.9, 2.5, 2.6, 2.8 and the computational problem below due 01/31/16 at 4pm
- 2.8 should be considerably more difficult than the other problems.
- Hint: this integral table might be of use.
- Added 01/29/18: trig and hyperbolic functions and their derivatives and integrals are also covered in the reading assignment 2) .
- Some Problem solving Videos might be useful.
- Using the leapfrog integrator, redo the computational problems from HW #1 and comment on the differences between Euler and Leapfrog in terms of the steps needed.